Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gandharva Vivaha - ancient Hindu Marriage.

The Gandharva Vivaha (the marriage of the celestials) involves simple exchange of garlands . We find references of this type of wedding in Hindu mythologies and epics. This is equivalent of eloping in today`s world, and couples whose union is not blessed by families seek refuge in this custom.

Gandharva marriage is a form of love marriage. Here the bride and the bridegroom get married secretly without the knowledge of their parents. This marriage reminds us of the love affair of Sakuntala and Dusyanta.

Mutual love and consent between bride and the bridegroom, are the only conditions to bring about such a marriage. It is a voluntary union of a maiden with her lover. Parents and kinsmen have nothing to do in such marriages. Kamasutra regards this marriage as an ideal one. Hindu mythology literature abounds in such type of marriages. For example that of Dushyant and Shakuntala; Daksheya and Prajapati, Bhima with  Hidimba; Kamdeva and Rati, Kach and Devyani. The two get married prior to informing anyone. It takes place either in a temple depending on their religion. It usually breaks up a family.

Where there is no Yajna and presence of any other person except girl and the boy. Both agreed to marry and continue family life.

5 comments:

  1. Very good article to touch hindu mythology. The more we read your blog the more we like it. You touch good points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I had this type of marriage

    We didn't tell anymore for a month or so that we were married :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I got married like this as well recently because we love each other deeply and we are impatient to wait for civil marriage to become husband n wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I got married like this on 6 April because we love each other so deeply that we are impatient to wait for civil marriage to become husband n wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately I met my soul partner after 40 yrs of my life when I was married and had 2 children. My life was woven around my kids. This came as a surprise as this person brought in love and care that I have never got in my life starting from my parents to spouse. I was living distant from my husband for long time due to lack of love and care and feelings. The new person my twin soul gave me love and care and he was everything to me after this happened. We have a husband wife relationship now and we got married Gandharva vivah way. I do wear a ring and magalsutra which he put on me and we exchanged. Gods ways....

    ReplyDelete

stats

blogspot statistics